I always kept stable with mtier, although I don't know if it updated to full
releases of FF or security patches only.

My MacOS/Win7/Debian systems have never had an issue with protonmail and new
Firefox versions so I can be quite confident in saying this seems to effect
just OpenBSD. In fact tell a lie, noScript add-on broke it recently but that
was fixed pretty quick.

I did read the pkg-readme for Firefox when I first encountered this 2 weeks
ago, but it didn't prove fruitful as I tried the 'create a new profile'
recommendation but never solved the issue. I didn't try the '--safe-mode' as
the pkg-readme only suggested using that if FF was not opening at all.

Och, who knows. I'm sure the issue will crop up for the maintainers at some
point when it effects some web service they use so will eventually be rooted
out I'm sure. In the mean time, suppose I can just use my other systems for
logging on to email. It's not like OpenBSD is absolutely necessary to get on to
my email or anything.

Thanks for the help/input, mate.

Regards.