On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:41:41 -0800

> Or would you want
> something more integrated into config where it would have a new
> command that would generate a file based on the current session, and
> a new option to process changes from a file rather than
> interactively? It looks like it would be difficult to detect errors
> in the first scenario, and I don't know if that would be an issue

I believe the second scenario would need /dev/mem access making it a
larger change than it first appears (config with a new option could
possibly save the original kernel file and compare the two kernel
files).

 -u             Check to see if the kernel configuration was modified
                at boot- time (i.e. boot -c was used).  If so, compare
                the running kernel with the kernel to be edited
                (infile).  If they seem to be the same, apply all
                configuration changes performed at boot. Using this
                option requires read access to /dev/mem, which may be
                restricted based upon the value of the kern.allowkmem
                sysctl(8).