On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 04:45:59PM +0000, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

> I believe the second scenario would need /dev/mem access making it a
> larger change than it first appears (config with a new option could
> possibly save the original kernel file and compare the two kernel
> files).

Ah, I didn't mean that; I meant save your interactive 'config -e'
session in a file that could be played back later. IE, you run 'config
-e -<newopt> /etc/ukc.conf ...', then type 'change x', 'disable y' etc,
and then when you 'quit', config would write a transcript of your
changes to /etc/ukc.conf such that 'config -e -<othernewopt'
/etc/ukc.conf ...' would non-interactively play them back. Rather than
just feeding a text file to stdin and config thinking somebody was
actually typing stuff at it, which leaves limited room for error
handling.