On 11/22/17 09:37, Jens A. Griepentrog wrote:
> Dear Misc Listeners,
>
> After the installation of a Logilink PC0017 4x serial puc(4) addon card,
> my system initially hung at "setting tty flags" at boot. After a reboot
> in single-user mode, from now on the hang-ups are gone away also in
> multi-user mode but it seems to me that only two of the four
> additional serial ports are configured. This will be no drama since,
> in fact, I only need two additional serial ports.
>
> Please, find below the corresponding output of dmesg or pcidump.
>
> Thank you very much and with best regards,
> Jens

I've ... had the same troubles with similar cards.  I don't think I ever
put one in a MP machine before, but what I found is that the machines I
wanted to use it with (old PII/PIII/celeron systems) refused to finish
booting, hanging exactly as you describe.  On a P4 system, they WOULD
boot, but took me a while to realize there was something wrong -- very
high power consumption, fans running too fast/system running too hot,
and a very high interrupt load for no obvious reason.  Remove the card,
the machine would return to "normal" operation.  And that was on cards
where the ports were recognized properly (and also several years ago).

I've since given up on the things, and been using 8 serial port to one
USB port devices, which seem to work much better.  Every once in a long
while they require a reboot of the computer or the unplugging and
replugging of the USB port to reset them, so only use them on dedicated
terminal servers.  I have a couple that cost around the $100 point, as I
recall, far less trouble than the NetMos chip cards gave me.

Nick.