Ingo Schwarze wrote:
>Philippe Meunier wrote:
>> $ ls
>> Thérèse
>
>That's a bad idea.  Do not use non-ASCII bytes in file names.

That's a nice thought but in practice I have some files on that machine
with names written in French, Thai, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, and for
some of these files renaming is not an option for work reasons.  I somehow
doubt that I'm the only one in such a situation.

>In this respect, OpenBSD is better than other operating systems.
>The problem is mostly hidden on OpenBSD because OpenBSD supports
>UTF-8 only.

Yes, I've noticed that the UTF-8 support in OpenBSD has become much nicer
in recent years.  My thanks to the devs who did that :-)

>That's called "canonical composition" in Unicode.

*sigh*  I see.  Well, I learned something new today.  Thanks for the info.

>It's certainly not ksh(1) because our ksh is not fully multibyte-
>character aware on purpose, but deliberately has only limited
>multibyte-character support.

Actually, since you brought this up, I wish ksh had fuller multibyte
character support.  As you say above the problem is mostly hidden and most
of the time it happens to just work, but, for example, trying to delete
double-wide Korean characters (well, syllables, really, which are *all*
double-wide) messes up the command line: the double-wide characters are
correctly deleted but the cursor moves left by only one position for each
delete which means that very quickly I lose track of which characters I'm
actually deleting and I'm forced to redraw the line.  Anyway, at this point
it's mostly anecdotal; most things work out of the box.

Philippe