Anthony J. Bentley wrote:
>       precompose (class Precompose)

Thanks!  That makes xterm work (almost) as expected:

$ ls
Thérèse
$ ls | od -c
0000000    T   h   e 314 201   r   e 314 200   s   e  \n
0000014
$ cp Thérèse Thérèse
cp: Thérèse and Thérèse are identical (not copied).

The first filename in the cp command above is created using ksh's
auto-completion and the second filename is created by copy-pasting
the first filename.  So xterm doesn't recompose the characters anymore.

The strange part is that, when I copy the first filename and paste
it to become the second filename, the second filename is shown without
any accent, even though the first and second filenames are now the exact
same sequence of bytes (I checked using od(1)).  So on the command line
it actually looks like this:

$ cp Thérèse Therese
cp: Thérèse and Thérèse are identical (not copied).

which looks wrong but works as expected.  I tried to play with various
things like the allowPasteControls resource but to no avail.  It looks
like an xterm bug to me but at this point I'm not even sure of that...
Anyone has any clue?

Thanks,

Philippe