Greetings misc@,

Though I have been successfully running dhcpd myself for a few years now, it has come to my attention when writing some scripts to help maintain systems that there is no /var/run/dhcpd.pid file.

Is this by design? If so, is it possible to have it generate the pid file on startup? (I do see a thread about this back in 2004 when 3.6-current was still being tested.)

I understand many are not fans of having lots of pid files laying around their box. What then is the recommended way of killing and restarting the daemon?

Many thanks,
Matt