On 2017-12-14, ti...@openmailbox.org <ti...@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Do you see any typical pf.conf or sysctl settings to tweak/speedup
> NAT/networking stack throughput?
>
> (On USB2 dongles, sigh.
>
> Current speed is quite OK actually, a client with good hardware would get up
> to 70mbps through the NAT. I was still curious to know if there are any
> obvious toggles in sysctl/pf.conf for up:ing NAT/networking stack throughput
> though. RAM is not an issue with me, I have plenty. I thought possibly some
> settings were set to unnecessarily low defaults, for OpenBSD to work well on
> machines with <1GB RAM, say.)
>
> Tinker

Generally not. The most common things to touch are:

- raising net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen if net.inet.ip.ifq.drops is
increasing (trade-off against latency).

- increasing "set limit states" on busier systems if needed.

- using a wider port range than the default 50001:65535 on busier
systems if needed (in PF nat rules; avoid starving the host itself
of free ephemeral ports for locally initiated connections).