On 2017-12-23, Kapetanakis Giannis <bil...@edu.physics.uoc.gr> wrote:
> On 23/12/17 12:24, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> Forwarded? No way! Same for bugs@ as tech@. It needs manual work to
>> triage, identify what is a bug, follow up with the reporter to make
>> sure the report is accurate and has enough information to be useful.
>> Same whatever the entry point is. If reporters can add bugs to it
>> directly, they need to go into a triage queue and *not* appear in the
>> main system until that's done.
>>
>> The idea of a bug tracking system is to spread the work and help
>> people remember things. It should *reduce* work done by devs because
>> they no longer have to drag even the most basic information out
>> of a reporter and figure out whether it's a bug or user error
>> or a support request in disguise.
>>
>> If it means *extra* work for devs, it's not going to work.
>>

> I still don't agree with you about maintaining both @tech/@bugs in
> correlation with a web interface (bugtracking).
> Not a gain, just extra trouble.

Probably not long term, but looking at existing unfixed bug reports on
lists would be a good way to seed the database. And information spread
across multiple mails can be synthesized into a coherent report,
hopefully going some way to showing others what a proper bug
submission should actually look like.