"Alceu R. de Freitas Jr." <glasswal...@yahoo.com.br> writes:

> I guess Intel does not give a shit about non-profit groups. Linux got
> this attention because there are a lot of players making money from
> it, players that surely have some sort of partnership with Intel.

>From what I have read in the past 24 hours, the spectre attacks are not
limited to Intel CPUs, but in theory could affect any that use
speculative execution (including, at least, modern ARM designs and AMD
processors).

My uninformed take on this is that when you allow anyone in the world to
run programs on your systems (i.e. JavaScript in browsers, "cloud"
hosted virtual machines running on shared hardware, etc.) these sorts of
things occasionally happen. No CPUs or software are perfectly secure.

Allan