On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 09:41:20PM +0000, Charlie Eddy wrote:
> hello misc,
>
> I am considering a move to OpenBSD, since I subscribed to this mailing list
> some time ago (~few months). I want to take advantage of security.
>
> However, a programmer who I know personally and respect considers OpenBSD
> to be old-school, in a negative sense. He recommends Arch Linux as
> superior, because more new. Does the difference boil down to one's
> definition of free software, and then compliance with that definition?
>
> I have read up on this a lot, and this is a serious question. I have heard
> that it is unimportant what *nix you're on after a few years of using one
> or the other, in terms of functionality. I am interested in embedded
> devices. I think that bends the needle towards Arch, but the security of
> OpenBSD is also attractive. What considerations should I take into account?

I don't think that, if you ask the same question on an Arch Linux
mailing list, people will suggest you to run OpenBSD. Since you're on an
OpenBSD mailing list, the odds are people here will... nevermind.

There are a lot (really, a lot) of things you should consider.
Honestly, these opiniated, one-sentence answers like these should ring
bells on your head, and work as an alert (because it's newer? really?).

That being said, the mindset of "going to shop" when choosing software
(e.g. comparing project features to see which one "offers more for the
lowest price") is just wrong. What do you really need? "Embedded",
"security" or any single-worded reason won't say much.

No words here will spare you the work you have to do by yourself. Install
it and put it to work. Then, then take your own conclusions.

--
db