Thanks Stuart

> Better to test sooner, if it still fails, if you can get a good report
> written up there's still some chance of a fix before release.

The machine is a cheap Dell laptop that's about 10 years old.  It's
possible that an innocent change in the software triggered a latent
hardware fault.

> Perhaps you caught the mirror mid-update, does it still happen now?

I did think of that.  Minutes after the install failed, I confirmed
that the mtimes on the Aarnet mirror were 10 hours old.  I might have
been mislead by timezones, and I'll try again tonight.

Rodney