On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 08:31:08PM +0200, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've finally got an el cheapo USB to midi converter. I just wanted to test
> if I can make use of my Roland Aira gear that way, because the USB connection
> is not class compliant.

FYI, certain Roland gears have a "generic" and "vendor" usb modes. In
the "generic" mode it's class-compliant, works on openbsd but crashes
windows. In the "vendor" mode (the default) it requires a window
driver. Anyway...

> Additionally I've two synths connected to the box:
>
> umidi0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 1 "Waldorf Music GmbH
> Rocket" rev 1.10/1.01 addr 2
> umidi0: (genuine USB-MIDI)
> umidi0: out=1, in=1
> midi0 at umidi0: <USB MIDI I/F>
> umidi1 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 1 "Waldorf Music GmbH
> Streichfett" rev 1.10/0.00 addr 3
> umidi1: (genuine USB-MIDI)
> umidi1: out=1, in=1
> midi1 at umidi1: <USB MIDI I/F>
> umidi2 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 1 "vendor 0x15ca VIEWCON.."
> rev 1.10/f1.10 addr 3
> umidi2: (genuine USB-MIDI)
> umidi2: out=1, in=1
> midi2 at umidi2: <USB MIDI I/F>
>
> generally, the synths can make sounds, just tested with midish, and ran the
> metronome.
> On the USB to MIDI converter I have a Roland Aira System-1 connected.
>
> testing this:
> hexdump -e '1/1 "%02x\n"' < /dev/rmidi0
> 90
> 40
> f8
> *
> fe
> f8
> *
> 90
> 4a
> 64
> f8
> *
>
> generally seems to work I'd say.

Yeah. So midi0 generates correct events. Does midi2 produce similar
events?  could you show what typing on keys produces?

> However, trying to connect the USB/MIDI converter as input to one of the
> synths as described in midi(4):
> cat -u /dev/rmidi2 >/dev/rmidi1
>
> doesn't produce any sound.
>
> I tried midish to connec both as well, my .midishrc:
> dnew 0 "rmidi/1" wo
> dnew 1 "rmidi/2" ro
>
> $ midish
> [0000:00]> fnew yalla
> [0000:00]> fmap {any 0}{any 1}

you need to map rmidi/2 -> rmidi/1, so this should be:

        fmap {any 1} {any 0}

you could type 'debug mididev 1' to see what's being sent and/or
received from devices.

> [0000:00]> i
> 1: sensing enabled
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 32 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 32 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 34 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 34 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 35 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 35 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 30 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 30 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 32 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 32 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 34 64: killed
> norm_kill: noff {1 0} 34 64: killed

it seems that device 1, ie midi2 sends note-on events but not the
matched note-off events.

> [0000:00]>
>
> these lines come when I push some keys of the keyboard on the system-1.
>
> When I directly connect the system-1 MIDI-OUT to the Rocket MIDI-IN
> I get nice sounds from the rocket.
> I tried both synths on the output side, and on the input side with the
> USB/MIDI converter I tried SYSTEM-1 and TB-3 but with both the same
> no sound effect.
>
> any idea what my problem is? It's just el cheapo USB/MIDI converter?

Maybe, but unlikely. If the device attaches, generally it works. Show
what's received on midi2 when you type on the keyboard or do any other
simple actions.