On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 10:22:26AM +0200, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> Am Freitag, Mai 25, 2018 08:41 CEST, Alexandre Ratchov <a...@caoua.org>
> schrieb:
>
> > On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 12:21:18AM +0200, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe, but unlikely. If the device attaches, generally it works. Show
> > > what's received on midi2 when you type on the keyboard or do any other
> > > simple actions.
> > >

> > fwiw, here's a small utility that I use very often to debug & connect
> > MIDI ports.
> >
> > http://caoua.org/alex/obsd/midicat.tar.gz
> >
> > To connect two rmidi/2 -> rmidi/1 and dump the data on stderr, run:
> >
> > midicat -d -q rmidi/2 -q rmidi/1
>
>  Actually, that midicat seems to do the trick. When I run it in debug, and
> press some keys on the
> system-1, output looks like:
>
> f8
> f8
> fe
> f8
> f8
> f8
> 90 80 9b

^^^^^^^^^^^

these 3 bytes make no sense. The status byte 0x90 is correct but the
two args are wrong. This is when you pressed the key, right?

> 90 9b b2

These are also wrong, and this is when you released the key, right?
Interestingly the 0x9b is repeated.

> f8
> f8
> f8
> f8
>
>  However, some keys I have to press multiple times until the Rocket Synth
> recognizes it, and
> some other note from the synth, doesn't produce any sound on the Rocket.
> However, when I connect the System 1 MIDI out, with a straight MIDI cable to
> MIDI in
> on the Rocket, I can play these notes, and it produces sound, on each key
> press.

Clearly, the midi events are corrupted by the usb interface. Does the
midi interface claim to be "class compliant"? does it come with
drivers for MacOS or Windows?

> The System-1, as well as the TB-3 are connected to my MX-1 via USB.
> I noticed I have to disconnect the USB from the system-1. Only then it seems
> send out MIDI data on the MIDI port.
> Maybe that was my main problem yesterday.
> Since I use the USB connection to the MX-1 for MIDI and SOUND, disconnecting
> the USB cable from the system-1 or tb-3 would spoil my setup.
> The Roland Aira gear doesn't seem to have a mode to support class compatible
> MIDI via USB. It only provides some USB Disk modes for backup/restore and
> firmware updates.
>

> I wonder how I could tell midicat which midi channel to use. I.e. I cound
> connect
> the USB-to-MIDI converter to the Roland MX-1, and since all the other gear is
> connected there, it might work out, when the MX-1 is set to MIDI passthrough.
> But I might be able to tell midish to connect that same hardware midi device
> as input to output, but with different midi channels?

If you use the MIDI passthrough, events will be broadcast to both
devices, so you'll have to configure each device to ignore channels
that you want the other device to handle.

midicat just moves the data, so you it can't change the channel
numbers. To change the channel you can use the fmap rule in midish.