Tim Donahue wrote:
On Thursday 02 February 2006 15:54, Darrin Chandler wrote:
Kenny Mann wrote:
I'm looking for something that which I can slap OpenBSD 3.8 on and use
it as a router.
This will be used for a house (~ 4 people) and I'm looking for
You could look at www.soekris.com. They're underpowered, but it should
be able to handle home router/firewall duties.

Underpowered? I think that is a really relative term. Underpowered for datamining a 1 TB database? Yeah it probably is, however from my experience I could saturate a 1.5 Mb SDSL or T-1 link using an IPSEC VPN on between a Soekris 4501 and a 1GHz Dell POS. If all you are looking to do is run a firewall for a DSL/Cable connection at home, the 4501 is likely overpowered.
Tim Donahue

Be careful with Soekris. While DSL speed is stuck at 1.5 MB for you, many users are getting 6MB and higher is some parts of the world. It would not be advantageous to buy something like a soekris and grow out of it in 2 years when your ISP gets around to offering REAL speeds.