From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Andrew Smith
Sent: 03 February 2006 12:12
To: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Inappropriate processes being 'stopped' when the system is busy..

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can make a suggestion here.

I have been pushing my X server on my Zaurus, logged in as a regular user
whilst running a large compile in the background. This is really to test the
stability of the ws_drv patches that just came through on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In doing this I ran up xfce4 and loaded AbiWord as a regular user to
generate some system load from that session.

What I noticed after a couple of mins (with a large port compile going on as
root from an ssh session) was that AbiWord, xfwm, xfce-panel, xfce-desktop
etc.. had all been put into a 'stop' state on the process list.

I can understand that the system may want to do this for certain processes
to protect against thrashing but I honestly don't have a clear idea about
what part of the system does this and if it is configurable.

Strictly speaking I would have thought that you don't want X Window Manager
processes like xfwm being put into a stopped state at all so I was wondering
if there is a way of flagging (or listing) processes which should never be
kill -STOP'ed by whatever is doing this.

I ended up having to kill -STOP my compilation, kill -CONT all my user
processes to wake em up and log out then kill -CONT my compilation to
continue in the end. I suppose it may be possible to do this from a second
vt if it's not convenient to go in over the network but maybe not always.

So is this a configurable feature??

(apologies if you think this should be in [EMAIL PROTECTED])

- Andy