On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:32:31PM -0500, Chris Zakelj wrote:
> Joe S wrote:
> > Be careful with Soekris. While DSL speed is stuck at 1.5 MB for you,
> > many users are getting 6MB and higher is some parts of the world. It
> > would not be advantageous to buy something like a soekris and grow out
> > of it in 2 years when your ISP gets around to offering REAL speeds.
> Has anyone ever actually pushed a Soekris all out to see when it begins
> to choke?  If so, where did it/they top out?  It's great to remind us
> yanks that our residential broadband sucks compared to EUR and asia, but
> as you say, we'll catch up eventually.

It maxes out at around 50Mbps doing just forwarding (no filtering).
And this is with a 4801 (the "fastest" soekris (266MHz)).
I don't think that better interfaces matter that much. The HW seems to max
out around 10-12k interrupts per second (forwarding 5000 packets/sec).
Perhaps you can reduce the number of interrupts with fxp(4) that do
interrupt mitigation but I did not test it.

--
:wq Claudio