Mon, 25 Jun 2018 22:01:42 +0000 (UTC) Robert Gilaard <rgila...@yahoo.com>
>  I am just researching this as well and have settled on the Dell

Hi Robert, Rupert,

Email coming from Yahoo is flagged as phishing scam, wastes time digging.

This is unacceptable advice, something very wrong with the advertisement.
Search for string "Dell", the company is "in difficulties":  Compromised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_TAO_product_catalog

Also search for the string "implant", and ask dmesg from an OpenBSD user.
Or a developer who actually uses the hardware and invests effort it runs.

> laptops because they come pre-configured with Ubuntu and therefore I
> assume they will be opensource friendly.

Assumptions & presumptions are examples, of superstitious mind abduction.
Common misconception, corporate operating system not a free nor open one.

Tue, 19 Jun 2018 06:37:18 -0400 Rupert Gallagher <r...@protonmail.com>
> I have 1500EUR for a new laptop. What would you buy with it?

Your other threads on server boards and systems make much more sense now.
You must however ask around more for long term production use of systems.

Search the archives and read carefully advice comes mostly free and open.

Kind regards,
Anton Lazarov