I have Samba/OpenBSD server at university's labs (VLANs, ~100
workstations[win7, win10], ~1k users).
There are few readonly shares that are automatically mounted at windows'
startup. Users can mount/umount their /homes by "net use..." script
(user/pass). They can also access their files over the internet via SFTP.
It just works fine, since ~2011.

--
radek