Hi Marcus,

On Wed, 2018-07-18 at 18:19 +0200, Marcus MERIGHI wrote:
> codeb...@inbox.lv (John Long), 2018.07.18 (Wed) 13:51 (CEST):
> > I have minidlna working fine on OpenBSD. However this doens't help
> > with
> > Roon media software since they don't have anything for OpenBSD,
> > unsurprisingly. Roon doesn't want to support dlna.
>
> What network access is officially supported?

As far as I know just native filesystems depending on the client and
whatever qualifies as a Windows Network Fileshare. The all-in-one Roon
package is only for Win/MacOS. I didn't want to start complicating
things.

> I've seen a RPi based media player that supported sftp. That would be
> an easy and secure way. chrooted user, sftp access.

Yeah but I don't need another media player and having to sftp each file
to play it is unmanageable. foobar2000 on Windows is better than
anything else until now for this purpose because nothing that runs on
the Pi can use the device drivers for my audio hardware, it's all
Windows-only. What Roon does is cooperate with Roon-enabled devices and
you can direct music to play on them. It works.

> > I have my Windows foobar2000 appliance roped-off from my LAN
> > because I
> > don't trust Windows boxes on my network. So I would like to set up
> > some
>
> I see Roon downloads for windows, android, macos, ios. What is your
> Roon
> running on? Just saying...

It is kinda complicated and I just started looking into it. There are a
few pieces. I am running the whole thing on Windows. The Android and
ios versions are display and controller apps but the media is hosted
somewhere else. On Windows and Mac you can host and control from one
device. On Linux I think you can't do everything either, just host the
data.

The media is already living on OpenBSD.

I guess one option would be to try to get Linux running in a VM under
OpenBSD, if it's possible to access data outside the VM. Then I could
use anything for a Roon controller clien.

> > way to serve the files to Windows from OpenBSD. I guess that is
> > CIFS/SAMBA?
>
> If your Roon machine formerly accessed the windows server then it was
> SMB/CIFS, almost for sure.

This is a new Roon setup a couple of hours old. It didn't formerly
access anything ;)

> > Is this secure over the network? I have not done this before and I
> > don't know what's involved. Is there an approved CIFS
> > implementation to
> > use?
>
> There's only samba. Isn't the Roon box the weakest point?

Sure, Windows is always the weakest point. But for music playback there
isn't any real option since all the device drivers are for Windows
only. Some of the work somewhat on Mac or Linux but mostly not very
well and not all the features are there.

/jl