On 07/25/18 12:57, Rudolf Sykora wrote:
> I'd perhaps like to switch to a recent snapshot.
> I read
> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html
> but do not quite understand it.

There could be some variations depending on what you are upgrading from.
If you jump too far (across several releases in one go) you will land in
unsupported territory.

It's quite probable the resulting system will work just fine, but if it
does not, getting help with any problems you see during or after the
upgrade will be harder.

> If I download the snapshot (ie bsd.rd), boot from it, choose Upgrade
> at the prompt, and upgrade any installed packages (??using pkg_add -u where
> available, otherwise from updated ports??), do I still have to follow
> those points described further down on the page, such as
>
> 2018/04/04 - PF_TRANS_ALTQ removed
>
> etc.?

It's useful to read about the changes, but in almost all cases just
upgrading to a snapshot will see all those issues handled automatically.

I've sometimes needed an extra sysmerge in addition to the automatic
one, but that is a lot less scary than it may sound to some. Of course
I've written about that too[1].

> I'd expect I should watch for changes of syntax for configuration
> files, right?

Do read the upgrade notes. They contain things that are useful to know,
but in most cases as several people have pointed out already, the
changes are handled but the upgrade program and possibly a subsequent
sysmerge.

- Peter

[1]
https://bsdly.blogspot.com/2012/07/keeping-your-openbsd-system-in-trim.html