Chris,

In my opinion it needs a lot of reading and testing to make the puzzle in one
go.

But for path A -> B -> C -> D -> E -> F -> G -> H -> I, you might also want to
do A -> B first and test it.
That means send an email between two users locally.
This way you'll understand better the role of each component as you go on every
simple step

I used a couple of blogs, mailling lists and man to build it
http://technoquarter.blogspot.com/
https://frozen-geek.net/openbsd-email-server-1/

    Le lundi 17 septembre 2018 à 22:20:24 UTC+2, Chris Bennett
<cpb_m...@bennettconstruction.us> a écrit :

 On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 06:33:52PM +0000, Mik J wrote:

> Really it will take time, here are the components I installed for this to
> work: opensmtp, dkimproxy, clamav, clamsmtp, nginx, roundcube, prosody,
> dovecot, let's encrypt, bind
>
> I'm using imapsync for the migration and plan to use openldap and bogofilter.

Here is where my problem is. OpenSMTPD and Dovecot, yes.
Then, everywhere I look, I see an endless combination of different spam
solutions. Every guide I've seen online tends to be a little out of
date, as the knobs have all changed. And I have yet to find an
explanation as to why they selected a particular combination.

It seems that I should move to IMAP, but then I have to ask myself if
that is even justified. I don't really know.

I don't mind throwing in PostgreSQL, but where are some good
table/column examples?

Every guide just jumps straight to you need to install:
A -> B -> C -> D -> E -> F -> G -> H -> I
Whoa. I'm on severe overload here.
It's kept me from even installing Dovecot yet since I don't even know
crap about B -> C -> D -> E

I don't mind putting in the work. But can anyone recommend a slower
solution? Say skip C -> D -> E for now, but add them in bit by bit which
gives me time to actually study them? I really don't like cut and paste.

I really want to get rid of as much spam as I can, but I'm patient.
Also, other than the mailing lists, almost everything is starting to be
HTML emails.

> Yes, this hostmaster work is more important for deliverability than the
> *optional* TLS & DKIM stuff, which I still don't bother at all with...
>
> Along with correct DNS PTR records (and matching SMTP HELO hostname),
> basic SPF & DMARC DNS records are almost essential to send.
>
> With almost all inbound connections being spam, fighting that is the
> main task of the postmaster. Aggressive spamd settings are needed here.
>
> After that, the MTA needs to be able to check the DNS validity of the
> sender's SMTP HELO hostname, and check their DNS PTR record is valid,
> and both the mail's envelope and address from domains have MX records.
>
> Most spam is sent by infected consumer devices, which do not have valid
> reverse DNS, nor a valid HELO hostname. After greylisting, bad DNS is
> the biggest indicator of spam. An MTA needs a lot of DNS knobs to tweak.
>
> Following that, the sender's IP address needs to be checked against
> multiple reliable DNS black and lists, and a cumulative score being
> totalled up to decide to reject or pass on to the next stage of tests.
>
> TLS & DKIM have very little value. The postmaster instead needs to work
> closely with the hostmaster and concentrate on good DNS practice/tests.

Then there is this part. Umm, I'd like to get this all correct.
Despite reading up on this that I've done, without seeing any correct
examples, I feel a little like my DMARC is being put up my DKIM, to be a
little graphic. I would like nothing more than an example of the whole
ball of wax that I can use to cut and paste with my info substituted.
This has got to be a lot simpler than what I've seen as far as
explanations, which has left me very frustrated. Worse, I got stuck for
months without a laptop/desktop to work from.
Yeah, I know I said cut and paste here. Shrug.

This email thing is kinda important. I feel like a little kid trying to
make pancakes with a fork instead of a spatula in a pressure cooker.

Right now is a good time for me to learn all this. I don't get or send
much email. But I'm planning on trying to make a real living wage
online. If that works, I better have this all figured out by then.
Turns out that right hip problems are genetic from my father's side of
the family. All I can say is Ouch! I need to figure this out.

Hey, thanks for any help and a special thanks for those clever OpenSMTPD
people. Wow, sendmail was a real bitch!

Chris Bennett