Tracy Bales <tracy.w7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a fresh install of 6.3-AMD64 running on an AMD FX-8300 8 core
> system.  I have created a 10G disk image.  I then started the vm to boot
> the bsd.rd so I can install OpenBSD 6.3-AMD64 into this disk image.  Here
> are my issues:
>
> 1)  The screen is really slow when the OpenBSD installer starts.  I have to
> keep pressing the space bar for the screen to update text output so I can
> see the full prompts.  I noticed in several Google searches that people
> suggest using SSH instead of CU to connect to the vm to get around the slow
> screen output.  My question is how do I connect to the vm if the vm does
> not have an OS running on it to accept the SSH connection?
>
> 2)  I set sysctl.conf to "net.inet.ip.forwarding=1", added the following to
> the end of my default pf.conf: "pass out on egress from !(egress) nat-to
> (egress)" and then set hostname.vether0 to "inet 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
> 192.168.1.255".  Finally I rebooted the machine.  SSH does not work to
> connect to the vm.  My question, I use "vmctl console 1" and the installer
> asks for the location of the install sets and I tell it http, however it
> does not connect to the network...what am I missing to get the network to
> pass traffic to the vm?
>
> 3)  Is there on online example that shows a step-by-step process for
> getting thru an OS installation using vmm?  I have tried at least 5
> different examples from Google searches and I notice that all of the
> examples stop at the point where the bsd.rd is started on the vm for the
> first time which points me back to issue number 1 detailed above.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) not sure if related, but you need to set the serial console at boot if you
use a 6.3 iso. On the upcoming 6.4 iso, it will "just work" in vmm. The console
is only for installing and debugging, once you installed the system and got the
network to work, you drop to ssh. But it shouldn't be that slow...

2) how did you start the VM? Does it use a local network interface or not? (-L
flag) or "local" keyword. The pf NAT example in vmctl(8) is the following:

    pass out on $ext_if from 100.64.0.0/10 to any nat-to $ext_if

3) there is no official example of installing a system under vmm nor I've heard
about any plan to do so. Only OpenBSD is well supported and the installation is
very straightforward, and Linux should work if you enable serial line (but it
may requires some tweaks, I don't know).