On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 4:38 PM Liam Wigney <ljdwig...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've used Openbsd before but my installs have gone smoothly with no issues
> and this is really the first time it's been a problem. The install is a
> super boring one, it's whole disk Openbsd with the default gpt partition
> layout and nothing else special.
>
> During the install after the sets are successfully installed there's a
> notification that the bootloader has failed to install due to mkdir being
> called with an invalid argument.

All the error messages from installboot from mkdir failing include both the
path and the specific error message.  Those are included because they're
helpful in understanding exactly what failed (and thus what could be
wrong).  Including the _exact_ and _full_ error message would make it
easier to assist.

(Ruling out stuff that _didn't_ fail is key to figuring out root causes.)

> Some research online said that I should
> try to do installboot manually in the subsequent prrompt, so I called
> installboot sd0 and got the following error
>
> installboot: /usr/mdec/biosboot: No such file or directory

Yes, when running from the bsd.rd ramdisk additional argument are necessary
so that installboot can find the files it needs and disk on which to
install them.  ...but doing that will just replicate what the upgrade
script already did and the error it gave you...

At this point, the two pieces of information that would help the most are:
1) the *EXACT AND FULL* error message that the upgrader reported from
installboot
2) what your disklabel and partition layout looks like.  The output of "df
-k" from the ramdisk shell prompt after the upgrade fails would be good,
for example, as it has everything mounted under /mnt.

Philip Guenther