Stuart Henderson wrote on 15-11-2018 22:53:
On 2018-11-15, Kevin Chadwick <m8il1i...@gmail.com> wrote:
The main benefit of read-only is not having to do disk checks but the time for
root is negligible.
well, it's not just time fsck'ing, those checks can fail, and then if
you don't have OOB you have to go visit the machine ..
Agree entirely and that is why on our firewalls I always use a RO root filesystem and whatever needs to be RW is in MFS.
It does require minor modification of among others /etc/rc though.

Root of the problem is the relative fragility of the current file system but changing that is of course a major undertaking.

Daniel