On 1/1/2019 9:46 AM, Elias M. Mariani wrote:
Hi list,
I'm thinking in installing some cameras in my private home, I have
been looking for solutions, my concern is that I wish to be able to
look the videos from outside the house and I'm a little paranoid about
the quality of the software that the different vendors use. I have
seen clusters of camaras that only work over ActiveX...
I know that is a little off-topic but maybe someone knows about a good
brand of cameras.
Of-course one can always set a VPN tunnel trough OpenBSD for the
security matter, OpenVPN works on Android so is easy to access from a
smartphone. But I would prefer to have a single secure service running
that adding a layer of complexity with the VPN.

I'm looking for:
- Not overpriced cameras.
- They don't need to be "external cameras", they will be covered under a roof.
- I need to set at least 4, so I need them to be accessible from a
single platform.
- Android / Browser friendly (not only IE plz...)
- WiFi is not needed, I have a 12v supply and Ethernet connections for
each camera.
- Good video quality but I'm not looking for anything super great...
- the ability to centralize recording and access to view the cameras is a must.

Again, sorry for the off-topic but were would I find a better place to
ask about surveillance and security ? :D

Cheers and happy new year.
Elias.

Anything that support RTP/RTSP works pretty well with OpenBSD and FFMPEG. I have FFMPEG listening for my cameras' streams, then tees the output to a series of files (MP4) and to a socket where nginx-rtmp-module is able to push it out via https (HLS).

I've been using some to monitor in and around the datacenter. A bunch of PoE-powered network cameras, hooked up to a PoE switch, forming an air-gapped surveillance network and an OpenBSD box with a couple high-capacity SSDs for storing video and a connection to the main network for users to access the web server port.

I've been using Monoprice-branded cameras, but I bought them a few years ago, not sure if the current models offer the same protocols.

A bit of advice for cameras outside: You are going to want outdoor-rated cameras even if they aren't getting hit directly with rain. Moisture in the air is still going to condense inside the camera if there are any gaps in the case at all. Eventually the lens is just going to become a permanently foggy mess.

-CA
.