On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 02:51:17 +0100, Moritz Lutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi list,
>
>i want to set up my screen resolution on tty to 1024x768 and smaller
>fonts,
>because i only work on tty on this maschine and this big fonts are a
>very
>bad on a 10,4" display. So is there a way to get this work. Because
>i don't find anything in the FAQ and with google.
>
>mfg
>
>eSpo

As Constintine pointed out there is a FAQ entry dealing with how to
change the character resolution on terminal displays. Unfortunately, not
all hardware supports switching character resolution.

More importantly, you need to realize that monitors have more than one
mode. Though there are some rare "specialty" monitors out there,
usually, a monitor only two modes; (1) character mode and (2) graphics
mode. From there, these two modes are further divided into sub-modes,
such as graphics resolution ("1024x768") and character resolution
(80x40).

Equally important, you need to realize that not all video output
hardware (i.e. commonly called "video cards" "graphics cards" or "frame
buffers") supports all the possible monitor modes and sub-modes.

When you say "1024x768" you are talking about a graphics mode measured
in dots per inch.

Terminals (tty) are almost always character mode, where "80x40" measures
the number of character column and character rows.

In other words, you are talking about two entirely different things.

In most situations, the only thing you can do to the character mode
output of tty is change the character resolution and Constintine pointed
out the relevant FAQ entry.

The most commonly used way to venture into the world of graphics mode is
to run an X server and xterm's.

I hope this makes things clear.

kind regards,
JCR