On 5/14/19 5:02 AM, Marc Espie wrote:
As far as I know, the only software we have for blind people
(and not just people with very poor eye sight)
is misc/brltty.

misc/screen  also has support in the form of the shm flavor,
which hooks to misc/brltty

The main issue for this kind of thing is of course testing.

This was done over 10 years ago.  I have zero idea if this
still works, or if there are better tools these days.

We also have (had?) a speech synthesis system in
audio/festival

Unfortunately, this is research code that predates the C++
standard by years, and thus is thoroughly rotten through.

I don't think we have any other speech synthesis open source
software in the ports tree.

There isĀ  fliteĀ  which works but isn't great.

--STeve Andre'