On 2019-05-14, Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:
> As far as I know, the only software we have for blind people
> (and not just people with very poor eye sight)
> is misc/brltty.
>
> misc/screen  also has support in the form of the shm flavor,
> which hooks to misc/brltty
>
> The main issue for this kind of thing is of course testing.
>
> This was done over 10 years ago.  I have zero idea if this
> still works, or if there are better tools these days.

On Linux brltty works with the console driver to read the standard
system console, on OpenBSD we don't have that support so brltty is
only usable with the version of screen with the shared-memory
patches (shm flavour).

If I build brltty with X support I can see that it does still work
with the version of screen in the ports tree. (I wasn't able to get
it to work with updated screen however; it's probably worth adding a
new screen-shm port so that we can update the main screen port without
affecting this).