On Jun 29, 2019 5:50 PM, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:

> [...]
>   program.
>
> Then you need to say:
>
>   $ man -k Ic,Nm=kill
>
> or something similar.
>
> > An added complication: When users are looking at the respective
> > sections for builtins in `man sh` vs `man ksh`, it may not always be
> > clear which description and behaviour would actually apply.
> > It's also very cumbersome to jump to the correct section e.g. in `man
> > ksh`, even if the user already knows what kind of command and
> > documentation to look for (which is half the battle). One way I
> > sometimes do that is:
> > This obviously isn't ideal, but I have not found any applicable
> > shortcuts. Would it be possible to add some way to make it easier to
> > accomplish the task "show me the documentation of builtin <foo> in man
> > ksh"?
>
> What's wrong with:
>
>   $ man -O tag=kill ksh
>
> It's documented in
>
>   $ man -O tag=tag mandoc
>
> Alternatively, type this:
>
>   man ksh<ENTER>:tkill<ENTER>
>
> As documented here:
>
>   $ man -O tag=MANPAGER man
>
> > Anyway, in an ideal world, typing man <command> would always show the
> > man page actually relevant to what the box would do if the user typed
> > <command> at the prompt.
>
> No.  That's not how man(1) is defined.  It's
>
>   usage: man [-acfhklw] [-C file] [-M path] [-m path] [-S subsection]
>              [[-s] section] name ...
>
> not
>
>   usage: man ... command ...
>
> Besides, how man(1) searches for the "name" should absolutely not
> depend on the shell the user is currently running.
>
> What next?  When you run
>
>   $ perl -e 'system qw(man kill)'
>
> you want to see the same as with:
>
>   $ perldoc -f kill
>
> > I don't know how this could be solved though; I'm just noticing that
> > there's much inconsistency and considerable possibility for user
> > confusion in that area.
>
> No man(1) begaves quite consistently and predictably.  You are
> merely confused about what the man(1) "name" argument is and how
> to search for internal commands of arbitrary programs instead.
>
> > As another aside:
> > On Ubuntu (and probably Debian), when the user types a command name
> > that does not correspond to any program actually installed, but that
> > *does* correspond to an executable present in a .deb package present
> > in currently configured repositories, the system will recommend that
> > package (sometimes several packages) and helpfully print what the user
> > would have to type to install said package(s).
>
> How revolting.  That's very contrary to the spirit of Unix.
> We certainly don't want to copy that.  No program should attempt
> to implement its very own partial solution for every *other* task
> under the sun, but instead focus on doiing its own task well.
>
> If you want to search for a manual page, use man(1).
> If you want to search for packages, use pkglocate(1).

I don't think this would be needed on openbsd as the default install has
everything you need for a basic system and it's easy to add additional
packages. However, as I learned when I set up a Debian box for my son to play
Minecraft it didn't. So it was kinda nice when I typed ifconfig it informed me
what package to install and I eventually got everything working no thanks to
the piss poor manual pages provided.

Edgar