On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 08:57:49AM -0400, Jay Hart wrote:
> I think its more like when diff asks to keep current config vs new config. I
> want to keep my
> current config files (or at least those custom portions).

There is no guarantee that your custom changes will still be
compatible with newer versions of affected software.

Because computers are stupid it is vital to have a human review
such changes; sysmerge already reduces the amount of changes to
review to a minimum which is great. Before sysmerge, people had
to merge configuration files manually!

There is really no way of knowing what effect your custom changes
will have when merged blindly with a new version. Anything could
happen; a no-op change, a syntax error, or some misconfiguration
with security implications.

The only safe way to do an automatic merge is to discard all
local changes, resetting everything to defaults.