Hi Edgar,

On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 11:43:19AM -0500, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 05:33:41PM +0200, Walter Alejandro Iglesias wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Since years I've been using a shell script of mine to shutdown my laptop
> > when battery is critical.  Convenient because I made it portable among
> > unix-like systems.  In the case of OpenBSD the script asks battery and
> > AC status to apm(4).
> >
> > Now I gave a try to the apmd(8) -Z option but, so far, I couldn't make
> > it work in a reliable way.  I added to rc.conf.local:
> >
> >  apmd_flags="-A -Z 20"
> >
> > But, after doing some tests, sometimes it works, other it seems like
> > it's totally ignored.
>
> Is your laptop plugged in during the tests?

First of all, thank you for answering. :-)

The cable is plugged to a multiple socket that has and interrupter.  I
cut the energy from there while doing the tests, mainly because I'm
interested it work in that way.

I'm not an electricity expert but I think I understand why you're asking
that question.  If the AC cable is connected to the laptop, even when in
the other end it's not connected to the source, since the converter
holds some residual voltage could make the laptop think it's still
connected to the main source, right?  But when the source is cut (in the
way I explained above,) apm(4) correctly says the AC power is
"disconnected," that's why I assumed apmd(8) should not be tricked by
the converter.