That is a long story,
I first switched to BSD around 2010,
I was just a kid with a Netbook
running on a VIA C7-M.
I was pissed at lack of open source drivers
and wanted to code my own
for the on board graphics.
The Ubuntu and general Linux boards
back then where full of script kiddies
ridiculing anyone with any perceived
lack of knowledge to oblivion.
Even when they them selves lacked the knowledge.

This hostility, combined with the utter lack of
documentation among the Linux Distros,
drove me away from Linux.
I came to FreeBSD, then Dragonfly,
then finally OpenBSD.

I currently use Dfly and OBSD on my private machines where ever I do not run
MacOS,
sometimes alongside. FreeBSD became rare,
NetBSD is only around on an image that
I sometimes boot on my PlayStation 2.

I tend to choose OpenBSD in the following scenarios:
1. outdated and/or obscure hardware.
Example: I have an older G3 iMac
that I use out of pure enjoyment,
getting Open running on there still took half a day
(I had to write my first own X11 config in 6 years)
but it runs, is secure and always up to date.
I even managed to write my own TBXI boot file
for the OpenFirmware from the source on the
image for macppc. Now I have a nice Pufferfish
greeting me if I hold down the Option (Alt) key
at boot.

2. Pentesting
Rationale: In Opsec scenarios you have to often
make yourself vulnerable to exploit someone elses
vulnerability. I like to be able to select where my
ports are open. OpenBSD is, as stated often,
secure by default. It therefore won’t surprise you
with new and sudden vulnerabilities. OpenBSD
also won’t complain when running as root only

3. network facing always on devices
Example: I have exactly one device at home that
is constantly running and exposed to the Internet
instead of only our intranet. That thing runs ssh.
No other distro would I trust with handling my
security right.

Other benefits of OpenBSD include:
-Lack of patheticism:  Other Distros call you an idiot
when they assume you i.e. tried to mount an already
hung in device (Ubuntu), I even wrote a Program in
Go before, Go craps it’s pants when you do not
indent correctly. I hat shit like that.
OpenBSD just assumes sou what you do.

-excellent documentation as mentioned
in contrast to Linux.
Oh how I hate fumbling for „solutions“ in Forums.

-maintained base of excellent standard software,
they really do fork what they need.
Xenocara and LibreSSL are excellent examples.
OpenBSD is doing where others are merely complaining.

Glaring Cons:
-Bluetooth support, I mean folks it’s 2019
-That lackluster Raspberry port
-The often harsh community,
there is a certain elitism here^
-The obvious lack of proprietary graphics drivers
the likes of which Linux gets^^
-No killer Filesystem like ZFS or HAMMER,
get used to UFS brother

^however it mostly extends to telling others when
and why they made dumb decisions and it goes
by without namecalling, Linux is just a Swamp
nowadays, a swamp of kiddies.
Dragonfly, in contrast to all here, really is
the heaven of polite technical conversation.

^^that is just stupid vendors though, the community ports where there is
interest.