On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 09:24:05AM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2019-11-01, Chris Bennett <cpb_m...@bennettconstruction.us> wrote:
> > NO. You need to use pkg_add -u -Dsnap.
>
> Normally when pkg_add doesn't have a full path to the package directory
> (e.g. PKG_PATH=http://mirror/pub/OpenBSD/6.6/packages/amd64/)
> it constructs it from a hostname in PKG_PATH or a partial path in
> /etc/installurl. To do that it has to add e.g. 6.6/packages/amd64
> to the partial path.
>
> It decides whether to use 6.6/ (or other version number) or snapshots/
> based on whether the current version is a snapshot or not (from the
> "sysctl kern.version" output).
>
> All that -Dsnap does is say "use snapshots/ even if this looks like
> it's a release (no suffix after "6.6"). You only ever need it if you're
> a) running snapshota and b) are in the brief period in the run-up to
> release where the version number has no suffix.
>
> > Occasionally you might need to use sysupgrade -s. That happened to me
> > from one -current to another.
>
> sysupgrade -s is sysupgrade's equivalent to pkg_add -Dsnap. So again you
> would only ever need it directly in the run-up to release.

This happened to me with a snapshot from before -release and getting a
snapshot right after -release. Perhaps this should be mentioned in man
sysupgrade(8)? The error message ftp something was not intuitive.
sysupgrade -s is logical and reasonable, but wasn't at all obvious from
the error message. I have had the same error message when a connection
was a problem.
In any case, I was able to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Chris Bennett