I tried running 'pkg_add -u' (not as a partial update) probably 5-10 times,
always getting the same 'forward dependencies don't match' notice, and
pkg_add ending with the notices:

Couldn't find updates for ... gettext-0.19.8.1p3 ... (and all the other
'don't match' packages)
Couldn't install gettext-runtime-0.20.1p0 ... (and all the other 'don't
match' packages)

> Flavours are after the version number (mutt-1.12.2v3-gpgme: this is the
> "gpgme" flavour of mutt).
>
> gettext was split into multiple parts (runtime, tools, and
> libtextstyle)
> in separate packages and there is no more package just named "gettext".
> Say you have A+B installed and want to update them, both use gettext.
> A(old)+B(old) depend on gettext; A(new)+B(new) depend on gettext-
> runtime.
> gettext and gettext-runtime contain same files so can't be installed
> together. Therefore you can't update A(old) to A(new) without also
> updating B(old) to B(new).

In my case, pkg_add -u did not succeed regardless of whether or not it was a
complete update.

> > Now, I really have little idea of what this means, or what I am
> doing, but I
> > decided I would just manually "fix" the @depend line in my local
> > "/var/db/pkg/[package]/+CONTENTS" to the "new" line (with
> > "gettext-runtime-0.20.1p0" in it).
>
> That probably didn't cause any big problems in this case, but I just
> want
> to make sure that it's showing in the thread for the list archives:
> don't
> do that :-)

I agree that it did not seem like the best idea (a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing).  When I was thinking about it, I thought of deleting
gettext (so that I could install gettext-runtime), but that seemed to lead
to a lot of other required package deletions, and I was worried that
something would break.

I could not figure out how to get one package (in this case, getext) to be
deleted, for just a few minutes, so that I could install gettext-runtime
without being forced to accept the deletion of a bunch of other packages.

Is there a way to do something like that?   I could not find one.

> I would suggest running pkg_check now for a sanity check of the package
> database.

Did that immediately after the update - I guess I got something right :-)
Thanks again
Ted