On 2019-11-02 11:14, Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen wrote:
2. nov. 2019 kl. 16:00 skrev Oliver Leaver-Smith <olij...@gmail.com>:

What tools do people find useful for writing on OpenBSD? By writing I mean long form such as novels and technical books, including plot and character development, outlining, and formatting for publishing (not all the same application necessarily)

I have found a number which boast Linux support, but not really anything that stands out which supports OpenBSD (aside from the obvious LaTeX et al.)

I really can’t speak to plot and character development, but all three
editions of The Book of PF were written using OpenOffice and later
LibreOffice write on OpenBSD snapshots.

Earlier versions of that manuscript were developed using DocBook SGML
(editing with emacs), but the publisher (fortunately) did not want any
truck with that.

For any new projects I would likely look half-heartedly for something
markdown based but would probably end up going the LibreOffice route
again.

FWIW, Brian Kernighan's new book was written using groff(1), with final rasterization done by gs(1), obviously there's a number of other tools involved.

On the other hand, unless you name is Brian Kernighan (or possibly Kristaps, Ingo, or jmc@) I doubt that toolset will satisfy you :-).

A few people around here have used TeX, LaTeX, and LyX (a LaTeX front-end) all of which are very much capable of large projects split into sections/chapters/etc. AFAIK OpenBSD's LaTeX / TeX packages are all more than adequate to the task, and all of the necessary tools are in ports.

-Adam