hello,

> The only thing that's really missing in perl is proper thread support.
> Don't know if that's going to happen.

seems ... complicated ...

> I have a wish-list of things that are not that likely to happen, I would
> like to be able to use prototypes on methods, for instance.

what do you mean by this? prototypes are here for decades and signatures
are experimental and i guess it will be core in some releases.

also, thanks to pluggable keywords, some very powerful modules exists
like https://metacpan.org/pod/Function::Parameters

> Perl also missed a turn for web development. I think Catalyst was a huge
> mistake (hey, you've got *choices* everywhere. Let's confuse everyone),

perl had CGI.pm, maypole, mod_perl, catalyst, jifty, dancer, mojolicious ...
Template toolkit is still by far the best template toolkit i know.
i really thing the only thing where perl was not a precursor in web dev
is plack (which is inspired by wsgi which is inspired by rack ... i
don't know if there is another ancestor).

> so a lot of people didn't transition from Meson to another perl module, but
> instead switched to ruby-on-rails or something like that.

you mean mason ? mason is the php of perl: don't organize your code:
write a single page with everything in it ... it was a terrible thing
to maintain (see the code of request tracker...).

> Dancer was a few years too late to the party.

sinatra (from ruby) was the source of inspiration of Dancer which,
AFAIK, appears years before flask and bottle.

ActiveRecord was easier than DBIx::Class for simple situations. that's
one of the reasons of the popularity of RoR (also the Ruby syntax).

regards
marc