On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 07:34:22PM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
> On 2/1/20 12:30 am, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> > * the python community was unfair comparing the langages (using ugly
> >   perl code and nice python counterparts). instead of taking time to
> >   explain all the biases, perl community repetedly asserted that the
> >   authors of those article were incompetents and gone away.
>
> Heh, I've heard Perl described as executable line noise, and for sure,
> it will let you write code like that.
>
> But so does C.  There's even a contest for doing exactly that.
>
> I've seen some pretty ugly Python code too.

Not to beat a dead horse, but most of the python configury stuff,
including scons, is pretty shitty.   Lots of really bad pseudo-OO stuf
(hey let's use that cool feature just because we can)

I hate when I have to fix python configure... it looks like a
bunch of complete beginners set up to reinvent a square wheel.

python is definitely my #1 most-hated language when fixing configure in
ports. Yes, it beats autoconf and libtool by a large margin.