On Sat, 15 Feb 2020, Predrag Punosevac wrote:

> The idea is to use yubikey as a challenge for a console login. I tried
> first to configure /etc/login.conf just to use yubikey
>
> auth-defaults:auth=yubikey:
>
> However, I see
>
> oko# tail -3 authlog
> Feb 15 23:29:15 oko yubikey: user predrag failed: password too short.
> Feb 15 23:29:15 oko yubikey: user predrag: reject
> Feb 15 23:43:09 oko su: predrag to root on /dev/ttyC0
>

> I used advanced mode in yubikey-personalization-gui and generated public
> key of lenght 16 instead of default 6. No avail. Then I realized that
>
> 010: SECURITY FIX: December 4, 2019   All architectures
> libc's authentication layer performed insufficient username validation.
>
> Is it possible to use yubikey for console authentication or does above
> patch disables it completely?

I use it on a daily basis no problem.

Have you read login_yubikey(8) ?  At some point it says:

  login_yubikey will read the user's UID (12 hex digits) from the file
  user.uid, the user's key (32 hex digits) from user.key, and the user's
  last-use counter from user.ctr in the /var/db/yubikey directory.

Not sure if you already did that.  But that may be it.

Cheers,

--
Paco Esteban.
5818130B8A6DBC03