On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 04:51:00PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 09 Mar 2020, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 03:56:53PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >
> > > This discussion is very interesting. The same thing happened to me
> > > on 6 March, when after completing the upgrade my Dell Optiplex 3020
> > > refused to boot. I assumed it was a hardware failure and spent the
> > > next three days bringing up an older Acer n460 which the Dell had
> > > replaced.

yes, it looks like a hardware failure.

in my case, 4 hosts with the same motherboard model failed at the same time (I
ran sysupgrade via ansible), so hardware failure was a bit excluded.

> > > I don't have the facility at present to put the disk in another
> > > machine so it looks like I'm stuck.

I agree it could be difficult. If the disk is plugged, bios stuck. If the disk
is unplugged, bios is fine, but you can't modify the disk data.

As sthen@ said, you could try to change bios setting to make the bios to not
look at the disk. I dunno if it would work or not.

Alternatively, if you disk support hotplugging (sata disk should), try to
connect the disk after the bios started could help. If so, I would try to plug
it as soon as possible after bios init.

Depending your configuration, you could also try to use USB/SATA or USB/IDE
adapter (depending your disk), in order to plug the disk after bios init. For
me, I had problem with this method too: when my sata disk is plugged in sata
connector it is showed with 512 bytes/sector, whereas with USB/SATA connector it
showed with 4096 bytes/sector and so disklabel is incoherent.

I hope it helps.
--
Sebastien Marie