Nick Holland wrote:
Steve D. wrote:
Hi,

I'm setting up a gateway (1.7 Ghz machine with 1 Gig of ram) for 700+ users using pf with NAT and BINAT's (90% NAT). I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations on tweaking the runtime options in PF. This box will pretty much just be handling the natting with a bare minimum of filtering, just enough to keep the box secure.

Yes:
DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT THE GOAL IS.

Apparently, there are some OSs people are used to that ship in a nearly useless state, at least judging by the queries like this. With OpenBSD, you aren't supposed to have to tweak things..it should Just Work.

See if you run into a problem. Don't start twisting knobs until you see if there is a reason to do so, and until you know what the desired outcome is. The defaults are set pretty darned well to start with -- you are much more likely to break something by "tweaking" than you are to improve anything.

For comparison: we have ~850 people, hiding behind a CARP'd pair of machines -- primary is a Celeron 600, 384M RAM. Failover box is a PIII-750, 512M RAM, in an otherwise identical box. Hooked to a 45Mbps DS3. We aren't exercising the system much at this point (neither the box nor the DS3). I suspect some day, we'll start seeing some limits hit on this thing, we'll worry about it then...assuming these boxes haven't died of old age by the time that happens. :)

Nick.

Nick,

Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for. I'm going to be dropping this into production and I don't want things to grind to a halt in 30 seconds. What kind of thruput are you seeing on the box? The only tweaks I was wondering about were in the pf runtime options (limit states etc.).

Thanks again,

Steve