Hi Marc,

Marc Espie wrote on Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 03:05:36PM +0200:

> Actually, not having recursive depends easily available on an installed
> package base is  somewhat tedu-ish.

Heh.  :-)

> Most specifically, it's not very useful for anything in common usage.  What
> would you want it for ?...  sure it's nice information, but in practice,
> unused dependencies from former ports get gc'd with pkg_delete -a...
>
> ... and if you're actually tinkering with dependencies, it's generally
> related to the ports tree proper, and there is a plethora of targets in
> there... along with indeed, sqlports which can give you all the info that
> you need, assuming a bit of sql magic.

Those look like good points.

I think you are right that the occasional times i was looking for
lists of recursive dependencies where when i was working on some
port, not when i was merely using a package, so going to the ports
tree and running make(1) didn't cause any real inconvenience.

I think your explanation helps to understand the choice to not
provide this particular knob better.  And yes, i definitely appreciate
that it's a very complex task to keep all the moving parts of the
pkg/dpb system working reliably, including for all the special cases
needed for such a large tree.

Yours,
  Ingo