> Even then it seems that some of them turn up again pretty much
> instantly after expiry.

You could update the expire time on each new connection/port scan
attempt. This way you could put say 4 days expire time and block these
IPs on all ports on all your systems and new connection attempts would
update the expire for all the systems.

4 days is because 5 days is a typical timeout for a temporary error for
SMTP. It may happen that someone used for 24hs a cloud instance and
then got banned by the cloud provider, the IP used for
spam/scans/attacks could be reused for another client for a legit
activity. So if that new client for the old IP sends to your client some
important mail, it's not lost and doesn't generate an undeliverable mail
report, it just takes some days to reach the destination (with retries
by the origin server).

4 weeks looks excessive for cloud shared IPs.