On 2020-06-12 11:17 a.m., George wrote:

On 2020-06-10 4:15 p.m., Benjamin Baier wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 14:36:46 -0400
George <g.lis...@nodeunit.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

I apologize if this maybe out of topic even though it is truly related
to VMM than Debian.

I am trying to setup a VMM Debian based guest but I'm not able to get it
to work. I found some description on the web about which settings to
edit in grub.cfg to enable the serial console and created a VM with 10.3
in qcow2 disk format in KVM. Now I am trying to start the same on
OpenBSD 6.7 but keep getting the connected message and then just
"Rebooting " after I hit some keyboard keys seems like baud rate issue
but not sure.
Don't need the KVM/qemu step.
Didn't know that was possible, much better thanks :)

After messing with it for a while now I am getting a new error:

vmctl: could not open disk image(s)
Better start over.
And so I did ...

even thought the disk is there and readable to the user I have setup in
vm.conf in fact I have another VM with the same configuration and disk
with the same permissions and in the same location that works (it is
OpenBSD based).

I would greatly appreciate it if someone has gone this path and can
share some config info with me.
Here is how I got debian 9 (stretch) installed.
http://www.netzbasis.de/openbsd/vmd-debian/index.html
I think the virtio-modules are now included in the debian 10 (buster)
installer, but not tested.

I am trying your preped boot.img so far going through install options most of which lead to:

Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok
Undefined video mode number: 314
Press <ENTER> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue, or wait 30 sec
Mode: Resolution:  Type:
0 F00   80x25      CGA/MDA/HGC
Enter a video mode or "scan" to scan for additional modes:

trying Install which I thought would be best (2-nd one after Graphical Install) hangs with:

[    0.000000] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): A valid RSDP was not found (20160831/tbxfroot-244)
[    0.806052] Initramfs unpacking failed: write error
[    0.814403] [Firmware Bug]: cpu 0, invalid IBS interrupt offset 0 (MSRC001103A=0x0000000000000000)
[    1.852264] mce: Unable to init device /dev/mcelog (rc: -5)

Thanks for your help and the page!

I tried a few more times still no luck. What is the key combination I need to use to get into a shell to load the modules. Hitting Esc puts me into boot> program which does not understand module handling etc.. and the menu does not let me to run a shell. I am missing something ...?

Thanks!

Cheers,

George