Oh, I'm "glad" someone else is having the same problem. (Sorry)
I had gotten to the point of assuming a hardware problem.
Being able to rule that out is nice.
At least there is hope in getting a fix.
I'm really not in a position to buy another one. $$ missing.

If any developer could get me a replacement, I will gladly send mine.
This is a pretty crappy laptop, so anything used and not very powerful
fits my needs. I'm doing my porting work off of my servers anyway.

Firefox, vim and lightweight use of something like gimp occasionally are
all I need

Thinking about it, my servers are i386 running amd64. Would that be OK
to run a build off of and install on the laptop?
I have one that I could interrupt that way.

Chris Bennett