On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 10:48 AM Henry W. Peterson <
henrywillpeter...@outlook.com> wrote:

> To Ian Darwin <ian () darwinsys ! com>:
>
> But the password has already been entered, that is previous the boot
> prompt.
>
> When I type "set tty com0", would that immediately switch console? I
> thought it established the console for the single user mode while loading
> /bsd (typical white letters on a blue background).

Yes, it's been a long while but if you have a monitor and keyboard attached
you will no longer be able to use them.  For getting further info from the
boot  process you'll have to have a serial console attached.

> About the "pins"; yes, those are the ones. But I was assuming to use them
> on both ends. Are you suggesting the use of an USB to Serial adapter to
> safely disconnect the USB end of the cable and that it would make it then
> safe to disconnect the other end too?

Yes, I believe it's safe to remove them in any order actually.

Greg