> On 14 Dec 2020, at 08:40, Daniel Jakots <d...@chown.me> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 20:34:35 -0000 (UTC), Stuart Henderson
> <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2020-12-12, Daniel Jakots <d...@chown.me> wrote:
>>> I've been using a LACP trunk on my apu (with the three em(4)). On
>>> top of which I have some vlans. I've been doing that for years and
>>> it's working fine.
>>
>> I used load-balancing trunk on APU before but stopped when I came to
>> the conclusion that APU running OpenBSD wasn't going to push more
>> than 1Gbps anyway.. (I use failover way more than any type of load
>> balancing)
>
> Yes but:
> - the three cables between the switch and the APU looks beautiful
> - I don't have to care which if is em0 and which if is em2. Just plug
>  everything.
> :)
>
>> I don't see anything on the switch side I could change, and the log I
>> have is merely the ports going up or down when I reboot.
>>
>>> Any idea why aggr(4) stays in no carrier status?
>>
>> Do you get any clues from "ifconfig aggr0 debug"?
>
> I just tried
> # ifconfig aggr0 debug
> # dmesg
> <nothing different>
> # ifconfig aggr0 down
> # ifconfig aggr0 up
> # ifconfig aggr0 # checked the debug flag was still there
> # dmesg
> <nothing different>
>
> I also looked at /var/log/message to be save, but nothing relevant.
>
>> What does the lacp status look like on the switch? (or does it just
>> say 'up' or something and not really have any status?)
>
> It doesn't say anything about the lacp, it just says the individual
> ports are going up or down (which is normal since I'm rebooting the apu
> to apply the network config change).

Can you try tcpdump -p -veni em0 -D in and see if any LACP packets appear to
come in on the port? If not, can you remove the -p and see if em0 starts to
work?

There are two main differences between how aggr(4) and trunk(4) works. The
first you've already found, which is that trunk(4) uses the address from one of
the ports it's given, while aggr(4) generates one when it's created. The second
difference is that trunk(4) makes member ports promisc, while aggr(4) tries to
be a lot more precise and takes care to program the ports properly. This means
that in your environment em(4) has to support changing it's MAC address to the
one provided by aggr(4), and it has to support joining multicast groups
properly, including the one that LACP packets are sent to.

tcpdump with -p means that it won't make the interface promiscuous. If you
don't see LACP packets come in while the port is promisc, that means the
multicast filter isn't working properly. It should start working if you're
running tcpdump without -p on the em(4) ports, or on aggr(4) itself.

Cheers,
dlg