Hi,

So I was upgrading my box to 6.8 and managed to accidentally overwrite my
disklabel and filesystems. I ran install instead of upgrade and stopped
after the filesystem creation when I realized my mistake (see ending
paragraphs).

The new disklabel was different due to auto allocation changes and newfs
has written new data on the disk but the install went no further.

I cannot work out exactly where /usr should start because I adjusted some
of the auto allocations in the past and I don't therefore know what
positions the volumes start at.

I have backups and will probably not have lost anything important but I
just wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to whether this is fixable
and what steps to take before I give up and re-install? I followed a how-to
I found which suggested using scan_ffs to rebuild my disklabel but it's
finding some of the volumes and not all of them.

I am running testdisk as I believe it supports UFS and disklabels and might
detect the starting positions of my filesystems if not the data itself.
I have also read the FAQ on data recovery. I know this is an odd question
but it might help someone in future as well.

For background wanting to upgrade 6.7 to 6.8 I was running bsd.rd with the
intention of resizing /usr because it became full. On running disklabel sd0
I found my disk was not available and I know from past experience that the
installer picks up my SATA HDD but I can't access it until that happens.

I ran the install program intending to stop after disk detection and when
it got to the disklabel creation I forgot that pressing q results in
continuation of the install rather than cancelling the process. I know this
is by design in disklabel itself and I should have remembered to press x
instead but maybe I'm not the first to try this approach.

In my case I wanted to see the disklabel allocation for comparison.

I suppose I at least didn't run "rm -rf *"...

Regards
Ed Gray