Hi Otto,

Thanks for your reply. This is what I see on a shell from bad.rd when I try
to access the first SATA HDD.

# disklabel sd0
disklabel: /dev/rsd0: no such file or directory

# disklabel sd0c
 disklabel: /dev/rsd0c: no such file or directory

Same for rsd0 and rsd0c.

The device nodes don't exist until the install or upgrade program detects
the disk and creates them.

Likewise for wd0 as although outdated for ahci disks.

Dmesg identifies the disk as:
sd0 at scsibus0 targ0 lun0 ATA ST1000DM003...
sd0 953869mb ....

This is why I had to run the install program and accidentally went too far.

It would be helpful to be able to use disklabel and other tools such as
newfs, growfs without running through the installer.

In my case I forgot that the installer continues automatically with the
next command and also used the wrong switch to disklabel.

It's a good thing I take backups seriously nowadays.

Regards
Ed Gray