Hello folks,

I am having an issue with sysupgrade and I have had trouble finding the source of the problem so I hope someone here might be able and willing to point me in the right direction.

I have 6 small systems running OpenBSD -current and I have a basic script which upgrades to the latest snapshot weekly. The systems are all relatively similar. Three are the exact same piece of hardware, two are slightly different, and one is a VM configured to match the first three as closely as possible with virtual hardware.

The script checks the current kernel version, (e.g. "GENERIC.MP#302") logs it, runs sysupgrade, and after the reboot it checks the kernel version again. If it is different it logs it as a "success" and if it is still the same it logs it as a failure.

All 6 systems were configured using the same autoinstall configuration and the upgrade script is identical on each unit. However, two of the three identical units always fail. When I remote into either system and manually run the upgrade script it also fails. I was able to get onsite with one of them where I connected a monitor and keyboard and manually ran the script to observe the results but oddly enough it succeeded so I learned nothing actionable. However it continues to fail the weekly upgrade. I have confirmed that the script permissions are identical on the working and nonworking units.

The 4 units that successfully upgrade leave a mail message with a log of the upgrade process. However I have been unable to find any record or log on the systems that are failing to help me figure out why this isn't working. The only difference I can identify between the systems is that "auto_upgrade.conf" and "bsd.upgrade" are both present in "/" on the two systems that fail, but are properly removed on the 4 that succeed.

I would appreciate any suggestions of what else I can try or check to figure out what is causing this issue.

Thanks

Judah